Thursday, August 16, 2012

Realize Where You Are

I was on a shuttle from the long-term parking lot at the Pittsburgh airport recently. We approached a stop and the door opened. A lady burdened with baggage asked the driver, "Where are you going?" The driver courteously answered, "To the departure terminal."

I thought that was a strange question to ask. Actually, I am not sure I would have been so polite. I thought of many answers: "We are lost. Do you know the way to San Jose?" "We are hungry and making a border run." "All the planes have been grounded and we are driving to Timbuktu."

As we drove to the terminal, I wondered how one stands in a parking lot at the airport and honestly asks where the shuttle is going? But as I thought, I realized that often people are surrounded by the answer and fail to realize it. Sometimes we are so overcome by circumstances, we are so focused on our little world, that we are unaware of what is going on around us.

So, what is the solution? First, slow down. Life passes fast enough without us making it faster. Take time to enjoy. Second, pay attention to what is happening around you. You may be missing your kids growing up or an opportunity to influence someone's life. You may just be missing the beauty of the world around us. Third, enjoy life. Don't let life happen without you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment