Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When the Game is Over

I am currently reading the book When the Game is Over It All Goes Back in the Box by John Ortberg.  The basic premise of the book is that "we can't take it with us". There is a chapter in the book entitled "Fill Each Square with What Matters Most".  It begins with a Spanish proverb:  those who rush, arrive first at the grave.  The chapter speaks of life as a game board and every day as a square on that board.  We can only move one square at a time.  Can't jump ahead; no going back.  However, instead of knowing where the last square on the board is, in the game of life we never know until that square arrives.  You and I live our days not knowing if it will be our last.

As a disciple of Christ, I should seek to live my life with purpose.  That purpose should be expressed in everything I do....every day.  I should live my life intentionally.  Not haphazardly.  Because I do not know when I will arrive at the final square.

While most of us will never change the world, we can impact our little piece of it.  And we should live each day with the purpose of doing that.  We only have so many days on this planet.  We should intentionally live our lives to make a difference.  Because one day--and it could be today--we will land on the final square and the game will be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment