Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I've Been Really Busy

Recently, I was having lunch alone and a young man sitting nearby was having a conversation on his cell phone. His statement: "I know you have been waiting for me to do that, but I have been really busy." This young man went on tell of how much pressure he was under. But he then said that was not their (the person on the other end of the conversation) problem. After a circular argument, the young man, rather apologetically, said that he would get it done by the end of the week.

That afternoon was spent in reflection. At what point did our word become meaningless? What transpired that deadlines mean nothing? I don't blame this young man. I believe he is a product of a society which has disallowed personal responsibility. It was not his fault that he had not started his client's (or his boss'?) project. It was the stress he was under; or the other projects; or the weather; or the dog ate his paperwork.

Stepping down from my soapbox, let me challenge you. If you tell someone you are going to do something, DO IT. If you give them a timeframe, be ON TIME. If something happens that will prevent you from keeping your word, call them and ask for an extension. IMMEDIATELY. Be a man (or woman) of your word. Be a person of integrity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment