Monday, October 26, 2009

Looking for the Boundaries

I found myself driving home on Friday night from Virginia in the rain and fog.  Now, normally that would not have been a problem.  However, I ran into rain and fog as I was driving up the eastern side of the Shenandoah  Ridge.  The higher up the mountain I drove, the harder the rain and the thicker the fog.  It became increasingly difficult to drive.

Not wanting to totally stop, I slowed down and pulled to the right-hand side of the road.  I began to focus on the white line at the edge of the road.  Knowing where the white line was, and where the yellow line in the middle was, I knew my location.  You see, I had driven the road enough to know that there are areas where just off the edge of the road is a drop of 300 feet or more.  In other places you are against the side of the mountain...nothing but rock.  So knowing where the boundaries were gave me a level of comfort not available by just looking down the road.

Life is much that way.  We are not always able to see down the road.  We must rely upon the boundaries to keep us on the right path.  If I had not trusted the lines on the road Friday night, I could have landed in the ditch.  We have to trust the boundaries in our lives to keep us on the road.

What boundaries are in your life?  Do not resist them.  Do not ignore them.  They are there for a reason.  They are there to keep you headed in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. did you make it home, or is this penned from your phone at the bottom of a gully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it home safely, Craig. It was quite a challenge. Glad you are doing well. Been following your posts. Still hoping to come by and see you guys.

    ReplyDelete