Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Value in Your Life

Sometimes you read a word and it jumps off the page.  This happened to me in the last 24 hours.  The word was "unappreciated".  When I first read the word, I stumbled across it.  It seemed to speak to me, but I did not want to listen.  However, as usually happens in circumstances like this, I made my way to the dictionary and looked it up.  "To hold in low esteem"; "to be ungrateful for"; "to assign a low value to"; "not increasing in value".  The sting of those words hit me in the face as I began to ponder them.

It is easy for us to just go our own way and take for granted the people in our life that give value to us.  It has been said "no man is an island", and that is true.  Not one of us has any value on our own.  Each of us has people that have influenced us, poured into us, and affected us along our journey.  And we in turn, have affected others.  It is the process of interaction that brings out the value in all of us.  

When you and I were in school, there was some teacher that stood out in our memory.  She was the best.  She easily explained that algebra problem.  She helped you understand how to diagram a sentence (but not necessarily why).  She seemed to know how to help you, pour into you.  But see, it did not start with her.  She was taking from her experience, her life-knowledge and giving to you.  That is the interaction.  Taking what we have been given and giving it to others.  

Each of us has something to give, something to contribute.  Don't be shy.  Pour into someone in your life.  Share your experience with them.  They will be better for it; and you will too!  And, just as important, be grateful for those who have poured into your life.  Tell them.  Show them.  Appreciate them.

Since this is Pastor Appreciation Month, let me say to all my pastor friends, thank you for pouring into me.  Thank you for your words of encouragement.  To my family, thank you for you support and love and understanding.  To my friends, thank you for being there when no one else was.  Thank you for understanding, listening, encouraging, and loving.  Each of you plays a different role in my life, but you all have one thing in common...you are loved by me. 

Be grateful for those in your life who have contributed to who you are.  And tell them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment