Thursday, January 28, 2010

See You or Hear You?

Someone recently commented, "It might not be what they see, but what they learn."  This was in response to me questioning a vote of confidence a group of peers had given me.  Over the past several days, I have not been able to get away from that.  Not what they see, but what they learn.

Too often, we are concerned with how people view us.  Consider how much money is spent on clothing and beauty products.  These help us project a positive image to the world around us, but do nothing to actually change the world.  It is not enough to look good to the world around us; we need to impact the world around us.

The comment from my friend challenged me.  I asked myself these questions:  What am I trying to do?  What is my motivation?  Do people "hear" my life or just see me?

Tough questions, but questions that need an answer.  I took the challenge.  I encourage you to do the same.

5 comments:

  1. Pastor Ric,

    I think that you are absolutely right we should all take a long hard look at ourselves and what we do to try to impress the world.

    You are a great teacher and I think that you have inspired and started a fire in more people than you know. My family and I greatly appreciate all the wisdom in your teachings, and can definitely say that it is not only what people see, but also what they learn. When I look at you and your family I see the love of Christ pouring out of you. You are impacting the world I can see it in my children as well as my life too. Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to know that I have inspired you the way you have me! It means so much to me to feel like I have given something back, even though it is only a few words of encouragement and inspiration. I just want to say "Thank You" to you and your church for being so generous to me and my family.

    Sincerely,
    Lisa,Lacey,Logan and Jeremiah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind words. It is good to know that you make an impact. I hope you both know you have impacted me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is I believe there is still shoe imprints in the used to be Chrisian Book store here in Bellefontaine,OH. Altough there is just as many imprints on the heart from "what was learn" thanks for the impact Ric!!! Your friend always, Kip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kip. I think of those days often. That Christian Book Store was more ministry than retail. Many lives were influenced, and I am thankful to have been a part.

    ReplyDelete